Merry December everyone!
As I have a newborn baby there is no way I'm committing to complete Blogmas this year but I've been inspired when scrolling through my twitter feed this morning to write down something christmassy. So, I thought it might be nice to start with talking about my xmas wishes for this year.. not presents, just things I hope to come true during the festive time this year.
1. Minimal stress- I can't honestly remember the last time we had a stress-free xmas and although we have a newborn this year we are doing everything we can to make it as calm and relaxed as possible. My family don't live in Sheffield and rather than us travelling to them or them squeezing into our baby paraphernalia filled house we thought it best we rent somewhere over the festive period. We found a rather Home Alone-esque house on Air BnB that will accommodate (sing in the style of 'On the first day of Christmas')...6 adults...1 baby...2 crazy dogs... 2 cars full of presents.. 1 M&S shopping order anndd a whole load of crappy christmas TV!
2. Nice food- Over the years my family have done alternative xmas dinners, one of the most memorable was an Indian themed meal which, of course, consisted of turkey tikka. This year, we've decided to steer clear of the traditional roast and just opt for a christmas style buffet. Less cooking, more time for drinking and we can pick bits to suit everyone. The girls in the family (bar the baby) have all had access to an M&S and Tesco account over the past few weeks and we've been adding bits and pieces day by day. We've so far covered xmas eve; my brothers girlfriend is from an Italian family and their tradition is to have fish on xmas eve so we've adopted this idea and ordered some rather delicious salmon dishes from M&S to go with mussels and chips! On xmas day we are having cold meats, bread, cheeses, crisps, pigs in blankets and a huge amount of chocolate! Some of you will be quivering at the thought of no traditional turkey and all the trimmings I know.. but think of all the washing up we're dodging!
3. An alcoholic drink- The last time I had a proper drink was at the beginning of December last year.. I found out I was with child the day before xmas eve so I missed out on the obligatory Snowballs and my xmas tradition of cherry Amaretto sours. Although I'm breastfeeding I'm planning on literally expressing my tits off so I can have a few glasses of bubbly over the xmas weekend. Although.. the thought of being up half the night, slightly sloshed with a crying baby sends shivers through me so I'll see how I get on...hmm maybe granny and grandad might want to do night duties?!
4. Cosy PJ's- Christmas wouldn't be christmas without a new pair of xmas jammies would it?! I've got some cosy ones on the way to me at the moment.. once they arrive of course I'll do the obligatory PJ's, xmas tree and sparkly lights photo over on my Instagram.
5. A happy baby- I know this xmas wish will come true already; I can tell that Aria adores spending time with my parents.. she's so chilled out and relaxed when they are around so 4 days of having their attention will make her very happy. She gets loads of cuddles, plenty of what my mum likes to call botty air time (no nappy on and legs all over the place) and hours of made up songs sung to her! As she's only just about to hit the 3 month mark I think its pretty pointless spending loads of money on presents for her so I've just bought a cute tree decoration with her name and the year on. However, I know Johno thinks I'm being a scrooge so I'm sure she'll get a few gifts from her doting daddy.
Of course, I do love giving and receiving presents at christmas but this year feels different due to having a new addition to the family..all the focus for me is about spending time with the people I love and having a few more pairs of hands to help out with the babe!
What are your wishes for your xmas this year?